Monday, March 22, 2010

March 22, 2010

Word of the day: Ides of March

Congratulations to Nathan for getting his 5s and 7s for the Mathematical Heavyweights challenge! Now on to the 3 and 6 times tables!

Reminders:
1. Practise times tables
2. Spelling due Thursday
3. Note (re science activities this week)
4. Get report cards/interview sheets signed and return them

We did a creative thinking activity today to list different things that you associate with circles. The quantity and quality of the ideas were outstanding! Here are some of the ideas that the class came up with:
1. the bottom part of a banjo
2. tire
3. medal
4. yo-yo
5. orange
6. clock
7. bowls
8. hamburger
9. bellybutton
10. earring
11. hockey puck
12. collar
13. yolk of a fried egg
14. glass part of a magnifying glass
15. planets
16. zero
17. iris of an eye
18. lids
19. pizza
20. ponytail holder
21. hula hoop
22. coins
23. Olympic rings
24. buttons
25. centre of a doughnut

The ideas were amazing in their originality and in their number. Pretty impressive stuff!

Head Scratcher of the day: "So I Says..." is a game where you create a joke by having to supply a first name to complete the "So I says" sentence. (Yes, "So I says" is horrible grammar. You have to ignore that part of the game.) An example would be, So I says to the girl standing in the swamp, I says "Marsha, ..."

Try these ones.
1. So I says to the girl blessing the food, I says _______________...
2. So I says to the fellow floating gently on the waves, I says ______________...
3. So I says to the man seasoning the soup, I says ____________ ...
4. So I says to the mand using the PA system, I says ____________ ...
5. So I says to the man learning to tame lions, I says ____________ ...

No comments: