Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November 2, 2011

(Review) word of the day: gullible

First grade students, remember to read to your parents and have them sign the Golden Envelope log sheet! Also, practise those "ing" spelling words!

I just noticed that yesterday's posting didn't show up on the blog. Sorry about that. I'm not sure what happened. Let's dig into my memory bank and see if I can remember what I wrote about.

I wrote about the first grade's golden envelope reading: a book will be sent home daily. Students are supposed to read the books aloud to an adult in the household, then the adult writes the book's title and the date it was read on the sheet taped to the golden envelope. This reading program really solidifies and accelerates the students' reading - and, consequently, has a positive impact on all their academics. Thanks in advance for everyone's support for this!

I also reminded parents that students should not bring Hallowe'en candy for recess snacks; this is consistent with our school's support of healthy eating.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that the newsletter went home and that it shows our class will be hosting a cookie sale on Thursday, November 24th. Everyone will be asked to prepare 2 dozen of their kitchen's finest: cookies, cupcakes, rice krispie squares ... whatever tempts your culinary imagination. We'll set up little committees (advertising, preparation of selling booths, sales, clean-up, counting money) so the students will see the "behind the scenes" part of fund-raising. (Money raised suppports our school's Plan Canada foster child.) I'll send a note home closer to the sale to remind people of it.

Finally, I wanted to reminde people to sign and return the swim forms asap. We're only waiting for 3 more to come back! Thanks!

No comments: